I find it so easy to sometimes forget how blessed I am! It’s just simple to get caught up in the day-to-day activities of life’s “busyness” when gratitude takes a back seat. Days become weeks, weeks become months and months become years! Don’t let any more time slip away without practicing gratitude every single day. Maintaining an attitude of gratitude is something I now consciously decide to do on purpose and it makes all the difference.
My current practice of gratitude consists of a few things… Upon waking and just before sleep I intentionally practice gratitude. In the morning before I roll out of bed I thank God for EVERYTHING in my life, for waking up and for my body that I love and take care of. Before bed I write in my journal ~ 5-10 things I am grateful for that happened during that particular day. Throughout the day I try to add gratitude in different easy ways! Try this… as you go about your day, make a point or mental note to be grateful for the things you may otherwise not even notice.
For instance, I really like to start my day with a cup of coffee or tea. Take a moment to thank God for this “little thing” that brings you joy and comfort.
Or how about the blessing of having water flow freely from your kitchen faucet and in your shower. It’s something we can easily take for granted, but it makes our lives so much better!
As you begin to thank God for the seemingly small things in your life, it will help you to focus on the positive and everything you do have. As a result, you will find yourself to be much more content & happy!
We can complain about trivial things like cleaning the house and doing the laundry. However, those without a place to live or clothes to wear would love a home to clean and dirty laundry to do.
See what I mean…? It’s so easy to forget how blessed we really are!
Here are a few simple ways to to show gratitude…
- Be an active listener – really listen to others and what they have to say.
- Give out compliments – make someones day by giving out compliments on little things like a great sweater or a nice smile. We all love to hear them!
- Pay for coffee for the person behind you in line at Starbucks (or wherever you go for coffee)!
- Send a text, or better yet, a handwritten note to someone and let them know exactly why you are grateful to have them in your life.
- Thank a police officer, fireman or military service person for their service to our country.
- Make eye contact – when interacting with anyone, show you are really present in the conversation.
- Journal your blessings
- Give a hug – make true connections with those you love
- Donate – skip a manicure and allocate the money to charity
- Forgive – be willing to apologize to those you truly love and appreciate
- ALWAYS say thank you.
- Share you material possessions with those less fortunate.
- Help a stranger or neighbor in need.
- Volunteer your time – spend a few hours at a food bank, animal shelter or church helping others. This will help put your own life into perspective.
- SMILE – ALWAYS! Slow down and smile. Smiles are so contagious, do your part to make happiness and gratitude go viral.
Each and every moment that we’re given is precious! We can choose to have a thankful attitude and live each moment full of joy… simply because God is so good!